November 12, 2008

The sewing machine blues

You know the old saying "when it rains - it pours". Well it poured on my yesterday. I am designing and making several embroidered fleece blankets for a local craft fair. The items were being donated to raise money for a local school. Yesterday evening I finally came up with a really nice idea for one of the blankets. I wanted to have blue snowflakes embroidered on fleece then appliqued to the blanket to hide the back side of the embroidery.

I had my snowflake design on my new laptop with the Vista system. My Babylock Esante was not upgraded for the Vista system so I spent at least 1 hour getting the upgrades and downloading them into the Esante using my old XP computer.

Now I was ready to put the snowflake design into the embroidery machine. Everything went well and I sewed one snowflake and it was awful. The tension was extremely tight on the top side and so I thought I would try it again with a looser tension - no difference until the needle jammed and I has a birds nest under the fabric. I turned the machine off and on and this time I tried a different pattern. The birds nest happened almost immediately this time. This was about 3 hours of frustration and I then decided that the machine needs to go in for routine maintenance anyway so I would have them look at the birds nest thing at the same time.

I was wondering if the software upgrade could have done anything to the machinces' performance. I tried to do a brief search on the internet for any discussions on that matter but I could not find anything. Later today the Babylock gets to make the trip to the sewing machine store for maintence. The blankets will have to wait.

No comments: