Would you wear a blanket?

With the Christmas buying season almost in full swing and much too early this year, I am getting emails for some interesting stuff that people want to sell me. Most of the items are for electronics but once an awhile I get an item that piques my curiosity. This time it was the Snuggie, a blanket you wear. Just click on the link to see the item and a video of how you wear the thing. Of course sending it to me those people don't realize that I might make one of my own and check it out for usability.

Off hand I don't like the idea because the thing is open in the back so using outdoors like they promote might be awkward. I would also stay away from any fire or flames if I had the thing on and that includes a gas stove.

We have several "throws" in the living room to use when watching TV. Of course I made them from a plush fleece material that was on sale for $3.00 a yard and each one used about 2 yards. I have also made a "wrap" by just putting a long slit in the material to make one solid back and 2 pieces that drape down the front of you like in the picture below.


Here is a simple pattern for making a shawl/wrap from 2 yards of fleece material:
  • buy 2 yards of fleece material (54" wide or wider)
  • trim the edges of the fleece with a rotary cutter or scissors to remove any manufacturers markings or names and to leave a nice flat edge.
  • if you wish you can round off the square corners
  • use the layout guide below and cut out a round area in the middle of the fabric and one long slit. Cut the slit on the length of the fabric not the width.
.


Since fleece fabric doesn't unravel you don't have to sew anything. So there you have a quick wrap/shawl.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Thanks for the free how-to. I love your blog.

Popular Posts