The Apron Senorita

I'd like to introduce you to Yoli Kalkofen, who is the delightful woman that designs and makes aprons. Her website is called the Apron Senorita and if you visit it you will see why. I asked Yoli to share some of her experiences on how she got started with her business and what she is up to now. So without further delay, here is Yoli:

Apron Senorita was a seed that was planted in my heart over 30 years ago. It came from my love of two cultures, “Tex-Mex”, and from the joy I got sewing as a young girl. I was 13 years old when I sewed my first apron and handmade doll clothes for my younger sisters. My mother sewed in her spare time and she passed on her passion to me. I grew up in the Rio Grandee Valley of deep south Texas where I embraced creative designs rich in Latin flavor and Western vintage. I fell in love with the rich colors of historical Latin architecture; terra cotta orange, cobalt blue, brick red, sunshine yellow,creamy whitesand, and the rustic ranch living. I also try to incorporate different fabric textures like rustic leather, vintage lace, natural cottons, and add some cowgirl diva “bling”.

I’m full of energy, faith, and motivation. As a single-mother of 2 teen kids, I have always worked full-time, and even completed my college degree online. As my kids got older I started to wonder what I would do after they left to college. My faith kicked and I knew that the answer would soon come. A couple of years ago my sister Jessica offered me the opportunity to join her online store, JOY Marie’s Boutique. I kept my full-time job and started sewing aprons in my spare time. It had been several years since I had used my sewing machine so I dusted and oiled my machine, and revived an inner gift.

The last two years have given me the opportunity to rediscover my passion for fabrics, textures, and colors. The business has provided an additional financial blessing to my family, and has allowed me to feel productive and happy. In December 2009 my job relocated me to central Texas, 300 miles away from my sister. I decided that it was time for the Apron Senorita to stand on its own. I opened up my own website online store, blog, Betsy store, email, PayPal, sell on eBay, and posted on eCRATER, I still work full-time at my job and design my aprons evenings and weekends. Apron Senorita and I personally are a work in progress. I value the wisdom of those who have come before me and I look forward to new adventures. My hope is to bring a little bit of Tex-Mex flare to kitchens around the world through my aprons.

Thanks, Yoli for your story on how you started and how you progressed. If you don't mind I have a suggestion that might help your business to grow. Since you make Tex-Mex style aprons, why don't you find someone that sells Tex-Mex pottery, cookbooks or even food at local fairs or farmers markets. You could pair up with them and share the costs of the booth and your products would complement one another.

Please visit Yoli's online stores and see what she makes. Here are her websites and stores:
Apron Senorita
Apron Senorita - the blog
Apron Senorita - etsy store

Comments

Popular Posts