Pages

March 20, 2011

My adventure in designing something new - failed, for now

About 2 weeks ago I was on a quest to make a new product. I had found a demand for custom lace for weddings and other special occasions. So with a yard of tulle and my embroidery machine, I started to experiment.

First step was to create a design that would lend itself well to lace. I used my digitizing software and came up with several of them. After transferring them to the embroidery machine I started to sew them out. My first try was awful. The design was too small and the stitches too tight. I altered the design to make it slightly larger. The result was much better but once the water soluble stabilizer had dissolved I found that the stitches were now much too loose.

I left my experimenting for a few days and then tried again. With each design change I found that each one had a problem in some way. I am wondering if the tulle fabric is not the right choice for the lace. Maybe a finer weave or a sheerer weight might do the trick. What ever the solution, it will have to wait, for now.

I have found that really great products do take time to work out the problems, so if you are have problems with your own ideas, take heart, you are not alone. 

No comments: