How do you manage your sewing business?

Technology is changing at such a rapid pace that soon the PC will be old news. Do you still keep track of expenses and profits with an old fashioned ledger? My mother used one of those to track my dad's business back in the 1960's. I had an old desktop PC that I retired back in 1999 and went with a laptop. That laptop is still working but it could not be upgraded enough to keep up with the new software being developed, so that one now collects dust. My next laptop was a nice little notebook type but it got too hot and use to shut down all the time. I still have it but for the last 4 years I have been using a mid-sized wide screen laptop.

I also have an iPod and I can see why the iPad is such a good seller. I am actually thinking that my next computer must have a touch screen and be compatible with my printer and of course the embroidery machine.

A sewing business will profit by having some portable technology. A camera is a must and your camera must be able to talk to your printer and computer. You need a way to communicate with your customers so either a cell phone or wi-fi enabled device (such as an iPod) will do the trick. If you do any sales at craft fairs then you will profit by having the ability to accept credit or debit cards, a netbook or even an iPod can do that for you.

Don't let the rapid technology changes leave your company in the dust.

Comments

Popular Posts